Hand engraving is the embellishment of precious objects using traditional engraving tools known as gravers. British hand engravers are some of the best in the world – and it is crucial that we preserve this part of our heritage. The Hand Engravers Association of Great Britain was formed to raise the profile and preserve the skills of this specialist craft and its practitioners. It aims to:
Raise the profile of hand engraving
- By informing the general public about this wonderful, traditional craft through exhibitions, seminars, workshops and in our own newsletter and website.
Provide education and training
- By running a programme of short engraving courses for all skill levels.
- Encouraging established craftsmen to pass on their skills to the next generation of hand engravers.
- Liaising with government and funding bodies to ensure craft training is adequately supported.
- Facilitating and supporting apprenticeships with leading engravers.
- Arranging specialist training days, talks and demonstrations for schools and colleges.
Stimulate debate and generate new ideas
- By providing a platform for the exchange of skills and ideas with regular meetings, workshops, social events and a regular newsletter.